Easy TVP Tacos
June 19th, 2015 by Elise Printer friendly version
Leave a reply »
TVP makes a really quick, tasty taco filling! These tacos can me be made vegan by skipping the cheese or by using a non-dairy version. I used Go Veggie shredded vegan cheddar. If you will be eating this meal on multiple days, leave the skin on the left-over portion of the avocado. Place it cut side down in a small container with a thin layer of lemon juice on the bottom. The lemon juice will keep the avocado from turning brown! Wholly Guacamole 100 calorie snack packs also work well. Other possible garnishes to try include corn, regular or vegan yogurt or sour cream, green chilies, beans, etc.
383 calories; 21g protein; 38g carbohydrates; 15g fat; 0mg cholesterol; 907mg sodium; 10g fiber
Makes 6 servings
- 2 cups TVP
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 6 taco shells
- 1 large tomato
- 1 avocado
- 1/3 cup vegan cheese, or regular (optional)
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Warm the water over medium heat and then add the TVP. Allow it to reconstitute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add all of the other ingredients except salsa. Cook for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add salsa and remove from heat.
- Assemble tacos and garnish with tomato and avocado, as well as cheese and hot sauce (if using).